I love crit­ters. (Espe­cially when they don’t eat my toma­toes.) And I’ve been want­ing to invite some chick­ens to live here at Bum­ble­bee Gar­den for some time. So I’m just tick­led pink that I finally worked up enough nerve to place my order for an Omlet Eglu house and three white leghorn chickens.

I’m already think­ing about names. Max­ine, after my 90-year-old great aunt? Min­nie Ruth, after my grand­mother? Olivia or Outa (as in “oh you’da died”) after other fam­ily mem­bers? Let the games begin!

Despite the fact that the tem­per­a­tures here in August have been humid and hot, the gar­den is still look­ing fairly good, although the inevitable decline is just around the corner.

The mal­abar spinach is just beau­ti­ful. It’s won­der­ful in cook­ing, but you don’t really want to eat it raw. Imag­ing pick­ing some leaves from your front land­scap­ing. Hummm. Very green tasting.

Those are some zin­nias that the but­ter­flies just adore. And behind them are some Ford­hook lima beans. My teenage son adores lima beans. In fact, he may be the only teenager in the world who adores lima beans. So, by God, I am grow­ing him some lima beans.

The con­tainer plant­i­ngs are just com­ing into their own. Well, after all, I did hang on to those pan­sies from last fall a bit longer than I should have.

Good grief. It’s hard to wrap my mind around the fact that I’ll be plant­ing fall con­tain­ers again so soon.

Where does the time go?

• Aack! Is it time to think about fall con­tain­ers already? I see no decline in your beau­ti­ful gar­dens, but I’ll take your word for it…

Now, about names for your chickens…

• I have to agree with Carol, your gar­den looks gor­geous. I would love to have chick­ens, but my dogs would give them anx­i­ety. lol

• Have fun with your new girls. Show us the chicken house once you have it in place. We’d love to see it.~~Dee

We do fall con­tain­ers, too? Oh yeah, pan­sies;-) Can’t wait to see the chick­ens and their roost!

• Robin says:

Now you’ll have some great manure for your gardens!

• How have you man­aged to make Mal­abar spinach tasty? I’ve added onions, gar­lic, and bal­samic vine­gar and still ended up with some­thing pretty darn inter­est­ing to us. But it is pretty and pro­lific in our hot climates!

Hope you have fab­u­lous suc­cess with your chick­ens… our dog would not be a happy com­pan­ion to them, I’m afraid, but I’d have them in a minute otherwise.

• P.S — I should have said the Mal­abar spinach was UNinteresting…when cooked with deli­cious amendments.

• El says:

You are going to LOVE those chick­ens. I have one leghorn (Pauline) and she’s the only Hou­dini in the bunch, mainly because she flies–to the top of the garage, natch–to escape the run. She’s a good layer though. All our girls are named after great grand­moth­ers, which is the only way I could’ve ever come up with Ver­loe and Letha. Have fun, Robin.

• Cindy says:

How about host­ing a chicken-naming con­test, with you as the judge, for one of the girls? My sug­ges­tion: Nelda Raye. (There’s a story behind that … choose that name & you get the story!)

I can’t remem­ber how I came to find these sites for some friends who own chick­ens … check out http://www.savagechickens.com/ and

• jgh says:

I also have a dog that’s pre­vent­ing me from get­ting chick­ens– I just couldn’t tor­ture her that much. But I love read­ing about oth­ers’ chick­ens so I look for­ward to hear­ing more!

• What a cool idea, Robin! Down in the Zan­than area of Austin you can keep chick­ens, but the HOA’s have laws against them in many other parts of town.

No funny names like “Fric­asee” or “Dumpling”? I think we saw them on the coop at a children’s zoo. But if you’re in it for the eggs…well, they should have nice old biddy names!

Annie at the Trans­plantable Rose

• Donnab says:

I just dis­cov­ered your blog. COOL. Your gar­den is lovely. We have some free range chick­ens at our small organic farm in north­ern Alabama. When it starts to get dark, they sort of round them­selves up. Still very hot here.

• Hey — good luck with the chick­ens! How fun. We adopted a dog yes­ter­day from a shel­ter and her only down­side is that she eats chick­ens! Oops. Well, we don’t have any so that’s ok. I have the mal­abar spinach — I sautee it with toasted pine nuts and gar­lic and olive oil, but I have a TON of it — seems it loves the broiler here. What else do you do with yours?

• Eve says:

I would love to raise chick­ens but I have no idea how many you would need to have enough eggs for two peo­ple. I will use about a dozen a week, for break­fast and cook­ing. Would three chick­ens pro­duce a dozen a week? Don’t laugh, I don’t know these things? LOL

• topiary lady says:

Hi Robin this is the first time that I’ve been to your blog…and I love it and your gar­dens! I am so jeal­ous that you are get­ting chick­ens. Although we live on a farm my hus­band is not a fan of chick­ens so I’ve decided that in order for me to have all of the farm ani­mals that I’d like I plan to do them in top­i­ary all around the house. So far I’ve made Hen­ri­etta the Hen and Rocco the Rooster in box­wood (the kids helped me name them). Mau­rice and Geral­dine the ducks have their own lit­tle bird bath “pond”. After see­ing those Omlet Eglu houses I’m so tempted!

• Kim says:

I’m envi­ous of you get­ting chick­ens. I won­der if I could get away with them in Colum­bia? I doubt Gar­den Man would indulge me this, and we’d be for­ever try­ing to out­wit the foxes. I’ll enjoy them vic­ar­i­ously through yours. Can’t wait to see them.

• NJ Dirt Gardener says:

Just found your blog by ran­dom googling at end of long week. Sur­prise! I lived in a lovely old house a few miles north of you 10 years ago. Your pho­tos bring it all back to me. We had a HUGE veg­gie gar­den, much too big for three peo­ple, that I will always miss.

Calvert County feels like an “out of the way” place, but it’s got hid­den trea­sures and some pretty inter­est­ing characters.

Nice to meet you.

• Kathleen says:

I am new to your lovely blog and I love your gar­den. I’m sure your chick­ens will live in grandure. One of my friends named all of her hens after first ladies. I am par­tial to Max­ine though. Have fun with all of your planning!

• sky says:

i have looked all year for a large piece of pot­tery which looks like an olive jar, sim­i­lar to the one in your pho­to­graph and have been unable to find one any­where in the seat­tle area. where did you find that beau­ti­ful piece?

• Rick says:

Robin–
    When do the hens and the coop arrive? Guess you should not un-subscribe to Back­yard Poul­try. Ha!

• Brenda Kula says:

I don’t know where the time goes. But if you fig­ure it out, please clue me in! I haven’t had lima beans in ages. Have no idea why not… Your gar­dens, per usual, are lovely and lush. I admire your gar­den­ing tal­ent.
    Brenda

• Your gar­den looks so good. I have always wanted a few chick­ens. Who knows? It could happen.

• Mary says:

Love the Ford­hook Limas, too! Robin, your place is so pretty. Your gar­den is healthy and lush. I look for­ward to mine look­ing as nice one day.

Sum­mer escapes too quickly.

• Kirstin says:

What a beau­ti­ful gar­den!! Can you tell me what the size of it is? We are cur­rently build­ing a home and I can’t wait to start gar­den­ing again. I have a sec­tion set aside to start with. I always have grand plans, but hope to start small at first.

• Jess Riley says:

I am in love with your gar­den!! You don’t mind if I live vic­ar­i­ously through you, do you?

My par­ents have chick­ens on their hobby farm–BEST. Eggs. Ever.

• Rebecca says:

I love your name choices! I think they will do just fine =)
    It’s amaz­ing to think about the Fall to-do list already. I mean, my toma­toes are still green!

• kate says:

I read about your recent acqui­si­tion of new chicks. Good for you — you’ll have great fun com­ing up with names for them. Your gar­den is beau­ti­ful. It is hard to believe that fall is just around the corner.

• […] called the Omlet com­pany to see if they had any leads on my chick­ens. Sadly, it turned out that my much antic­i­pated chick­ens would be be delayed for two to four […]

• Joe says:

You have a beau­ti­ful gar­den! Wow!

• Alexandra says:

I think I need to have more con­tain­ers in my garden.