Par­don me while I open the Depart­ment of Shame­less Pro­mo­tion. Did you know that Gro­cery Gar­den­ing is on not one…not two…but THREE Ama­zon best seller lists? The reviews (not all of them from my friends) have also been pos­i­tive. (My mother is so proud!)

If you don’t yet have a copy of this book I wrote with my gar­den­ing friends Jean Ann Van Krev­e­len, Amanda Thom­sen and Teresa O’Connor, here’s your chance to get one for FREE.

Leave me a com­ment to this post on or before Fri­day, March 5, and you’ll be entered into the draw­ing. When you leave your com­ment, please answer one of these questions:

- How, if at all, do you read other com­ments on blog posts? Do you read them before respond­ing? Never read them? Some­thing else?

- After com­ment­ing, do you sub­scribe to the follow-up com­ments on that post?

- Do you return to a blog post after com­ment­ing to see what other peo­ple have had to say?

Your responses will be most help­ful in help­ing me to deal with the com­ments all the very kind peo­ple leave here at Bum­ble­bee. I always read every com­ment and love them. I go through phases when I respond. Then I think “No one is look­ing at my responses” so I stop. But then I feel guilty and start respond­ing again. So, help me out, okay? It’ll give me more time for gro­cery gardening!

Got Gro­cery Gar­den­ing?

UPDATE

Dawn at Owl Hol­low News is the win­ner of the Gro­cery Gar­den­ing draw­ing. Con­grat­u­la­tions, Dawn!

• Kay Niehaus says:

I like to read other people’s posts and see what they have to say and then I will post a com­ment. I love to see what peo­ple write on posts. I am new to blog­ging and love to see peo­ple com­ment on my blog. I do go back and answer people’s com­ments. Of course there have only been a few. Any­way, I would love to have your book. Thanks. By the way, I love your blog.

• Amy Parker says:

I am new to gar­den­ing AND read­ing blogs about gar­den­ing but I am lov­ing both. I feel like I’ve stum­bled on a gold mine find­ing your blog. It is delight­ful. I have found that I will return to com­ments if I have com­mented on some­thing but if I haven’t posted any­thing then I usu­ally skip the comments.

• Diana says:

When I get your new blog on my side bar,I always take a look. I look for­ward to your blog very much. I have on occa­sion made com­ments, and I always read the com­ments oth­ers make. It’s nice if you have the time to com­ment back, but with your busy sched­ule, I’m sure it’s very dif­fi­cult. Con­tinue to do what you do, your blog is a work of art, and I’m an admir’er for sure.

• Nancy Wheat says:

I’m fairly new to both read­ing and writ­ing blogs. I do try keep up with quite a few blogs on a num­ber of top­ics. Almost always, blog read­ing is done from my phone, so often the com­ments are hid­den. I do read other people’s com­ments occa­sion­ally, though I rarely com­ment. I appre­ci­ate the rare com­ments that I receive on my blog, so per­haps I’ll com­ment more often. I enjoy your blog very much — thanks!

• Terri says:

Yours is one of the few blogs I always check in on, maybe not daily, but at least once a week! I have to see what the chick­ens are up to! Love the pho­tos!
    When I leave a com­ment I always check back. Love to see what oth­ers have to say. Thanks for the draw­ing! They are always fun!

• I always read other com­ments before post­ing my own. I’ve never noticed a method for sub­scrib­ing to com­ment fol­low ups on the blogs I visit, then again, it could just be my old browser/computer. And if it’s a topic I’m vested in, I do return to read fol­low up com­ments or if I posed a ques­tion to the author. Just saw your book at a friend’s house tonight, awe­some con­tent and design. I’m amazed the pub­lisher printed 4/c process cover to cover. Hard to get that pushed through most pub­lish­ers. Good job!

• Ann says:

Some­times I read the com­ments before I write, and some­times after­ward. But unless there are dozens (or 100s) I always read the other posts. Now I am mak­ing a “char­ity plea” — I’m a poor church­mouse who just got her salary cut. My book bud­get for 2010 is pathetic. I would absolutely LOVE your book, avid veg­gie gar­dener and sus­tain­abil­ity freak that I am. And I love your chickies!

• Robin Ripley says:

Oh my gosh! Your com­ments are all so kind! Thank you!

I think I’ll have to be bet­ter about com­ments. Diana is right, the busy sched­ule is always a prob­lem. But if you’re actu­ally read­ing and check­ing back, that makes a difference.

Thank you for the kind com­ments. And my chick­ens thank you!

Robin Rip­ley

• grandmabecker says:

Yes. No. and Yes.
    I check in on my fav blogs a few times a day.
    Love yours.

• Eva says:

Yes, I usu­ally read the com­ments, even if I’m not going to respond. If I do respond, I always read the comments.

No, I don’t sub­scribe to com­ments, except once in a blue moon. I already get enough stuff in my email. I can’t han­dle more.

If I like the blog, I add it to Google Reader. It should be noted that I may also read the post via Reader, and then switch over if I want to com­ment. And, by the way, I’m more likely to remem­ber to come back to the blog if I’m fol­low­ing the writer on Twit­ter and I’m reminded by a tweet. :)
    .-= Eva´s last blog ..Gar­den­ing Books for Kids =-.

• Dominika says:

After read­ing a post, I glance at the com­ments and read them if the dis­cus­sion seems inter­est­ing. I read all of them if I plan on com­ment­ing, as my response will often adress not only the post, but some of the other com­ments. I never sub­scribe to the com­ments — it would only annoy me. Very rarely do I return to check other com­ments — it must be an awe­some dis­cus­sion on some­thing very impor­tant to me. Like the best way of solv­ing some seri­ous problem.

• Vertie says:

I usu­ally only check back on com­ments if I or some­one else has asked a spe­cific ques­tion, and I’m inter­ested in the answer. For me, it isn’t that impor­tant if you respond to each com­ment, time being what it is for all of us.
    .-= Vertie´s last blog ..A Light Dust­ing of Snow =-.

• If a post is of great inter­est to me I always read the com­ments. I will add a com­ment if I think I have some­thing dif­fer­ent to offer or to sup­port a posi­tion in a dis­cus­sion. Com­ments are such a great way to get more info from more peo­ple! I rarely sub­scribe to follow-ups because my inboxes are full enough but I will check back to see if more dis­cus­sion has evolved from my com­ment. I’m com­ing to check out the blog any­way, right? May as well see what hap­pened after read­ing any new posts. Enjoy you blog and all the dif­fer­ent aspects you cover. Would LOVE the book — as mar­ket gar­den­ers and CSA providers it would have lots to share with our subscribers.!

• Whit says:

Except for this time, i usu­ally read through the com­ments only when i have some­thing to con­tribute that hasn’t been said (or when prompted, like now.)

Thanks for the oppor­tu­nity to win your book.

• DaShannon says:

I read com­ments on top­ics I really like or if I know peo­ple are going to be expand­ing on the topic. I don’t usu­ally sub­scribe to the com­ment fol­lowups unless there again I really want to know what peo­ple come up with. I do scan what the other com­ments are before com­ment­ing so I’m not redundant.

• I usu­ally read com­ments before adding one of my own, unless I’m in a hurry. I don’t sub­scribe to the follow-up com­ments but I some­times will check back to see what the blog author or oth­ers have said. With my own blog, I also go through phases of being good about respond­ing to com­ments and not being so good about it. You’re not the only one who feels guilty about that!
    .-= Ram­ble on Rose´s last blog ..Book Review: Year-Round Gar­den­ing =-.

• My com­ment­ing habits really vary depend­ing on the topic of the post and blog in ques­tion. If an inter­est­ing con­ver­sa­tion is devel­op­ing, I tend to read at least the com­ments that looks more inter­est­ing. I usu­ally do opt to get follow-up com­ments sent to my email. Once I’m sick of get­ting them, I just unsubscribe.

I saw this book in B&N the other day and put it on my “to read” list! It looks great from what I could tell by flip­ping through it. I’d love to get it for free, since it’s already on my list :)

• Therese says:

I (almost) always read com­ments; when some­one takes the trou­ble to write, I want to know what he has to say. But unless I’m answer­ing a spe­cific ques­tion, these often seem to have lit­tle bear­ing on what I myself will post–ten peo­ple can read a blog­post and have ten dif­fer­ent notions about what the orig­i­nal writer meant. 😉

Fan­tas­tic book~~I am enjoy­ing it very much! Since I have a copy don’t put me in the drawing…But com­ment readers~It is an excel­lent book.

I have a won­der­ful add-on book­mark pro­gram that lets me view my RSS feeds on the left mar­gin of my page
    with links to your and other blog­gers last ten posts…I do read com­ments most of the time and love the lively back and forth…but haven’t been answer­ing back each one, just those with spe­cific ques­tions or requests. gail
    .-= Gail´s last blog ..March Muse Day =-.

• Lisa says:

I do tend to read com­ments on blogs. The more inter­est­ing the sub­ject, the more com­ments I read. I have learned alot from what I read. I like to read about farm­ing, cook­ing and home remodies. I am build­ing a farm, in Maine with my two draft horses.

• Tatyana says:

Hi Robin! Con­grat­u­la­tions on your book!
    I read other com­ments mostly after I place my own com­ment. If I don’t have much time, I don’t read them at all. I sub­scribe very rarely to com­ments, only when I asked a ques­tion. I return to a post, mostly, only to check what that blog­ger answered to my own com­ment.
    .-= Tatyana´s last blog ..Spring Works and Blooms in Feb­ru­ary =-.

• Janine says:

I read other com­ments before com­ment­ing myself because I don’t want to repeat what some­one else has already said. I don’t think I knew you could sub­scribe to com­ments :) Some­times I return if the topic really intrigues me. I would love to have your book,it would make a nice birth­day present (mine’s Sat­ur­day, hint hint) LOL Love your blog. Keep up the good writing.

• Shannon says:

I don’t always read com­ments. But if I do and I leave a com­ment, I some­times sub­scribe to com­ments, but not always.
    .-= Shannon´s last blog ..Guest Post: Use It Up, Wear it Out, Make it Do or Do With­out =-.

• Pam says:

If I find a post is inter­est­ing I also read the com­ments, though I rarely leave a com­ment of my own.

I enjoy gar­den­ing and am in west­ern Col­orado zone 4. I am look­ing to expand my veg­etable gar­den this year and am look­ing for ideas and help so this book would be wonderful.

• Kate says:

I’ll answer all 3…

I’ll read other com­ments if I think they’ll be inter­est­ing. Like on this post, I didn’t read the comments…but if some­thing dra­matic hap­pened to a chicken (dumb exam­ple) but I might read what oth­ers wrote.

No, never. I fear my Inbox could be swamped with responses.

Sometimes…but only if the topic itself was really inter­est­ing or if I know that the blog­ger always responds to com­ments. If I leave a com­ment from time to time on a blog for the author and I NEVER get a response from the author, I won’t go back and read the com­ments. If I see the author peri­od­i­cally reply to com­menters I do some­times go back to see if there are any follow-up’s.
    .-= Kate´s last blog ..Dirty Money =-.

• Kate says:

I’ll answer all 3…

No, never. I fear my Inbox could be swamped with responses.

• Tangled Gardens says:

Yes, I do return to a blog post to see what other peo­ple are say­ing. No I don’t sub­scribe to com­ments, too much clut­ter. I do occa­sion­ally read your older blogs in other cat­e­gories. It would be nice to see a response to a ques­tion on a blog but other than that it prob­a­bly isn’t nec­es­sary to respond. I like that your blog isn’t just about gar­den­ing. It makes it so much more per­sonal. Con­grats on the book!

• Jean says:

Robin, I am most eager to read your book so I’ll be happy to answer your ques­tions! I some­times read other com­menters’ com­ments, depend­ing on how many there are. I some­times sub­scribe to follow-up com­ments but usu­ally not. I rarely return to a blog post unless I asked a spe­cific ques­tion and am hop­ing for an answer. Con­grat­u­la­tions on your new book (if I haven’t said so already).
    Jean
    .-= Jean´s last blog ..Two More Good Rea­sons not to Top your Crape­myr­tles =-.

• Shannon says:

Con­grat­u­la­tions on the book. I look foward to read­ing it (for free would be fab­u­lous and appreciated!).

I do a quick scan on blog posts if the topic is of inter­est. I’ll read fur­ther if I’m intrigued by them and want to fol­low the thread. If I’m going to com­ment, I def­i­nitely read them all before posting.

Only rarely do I sub­scribe to the posts–it has to be some­thing where I’m look­ing for an answer or have an intense inter­est (it does hap­pen). My return­ing to a blog post is pretty rare.

Hope the feed­back helps!

• Lisa says:

I almost always read com­ments. I find if I am going to try some­thing new,a book or craft etc. I read the com­ments and learn more tips.I return to a post some­times when I am try­ing some­thing new,more often I print the post.I love the book! I work at a big orange box store and have been peak­ing. I am build­ing a farm and skills.

• fern says:

I have cur­rently book­marked 36 gardening/nature blogs, many of which i found through Botanical.

I’ll read other read­ers’ com­ments if the post is espe­cially inter­est­ing, but I’ll gen­er­ally read the post first, com­ments second.

• fern says:

And I usu­ally go through all 36 of ‘em every few days, when I need a lift from this dreary win­ter or am look­ing for inspi­ra­tion for my own blog.
    .-= fern´s last blog ..Cen­ten­nial Water­shed State For­est hike =-.

• Tara says:

I often read the com­ments, but not always. And I don’t sub­scribe to any­thing. As many of the oth­ers have men­tioned, I can’t con­trol my inbox as it is! A lot of times, I read com­ments and click on the links to the commenter’s blog. This is some­times how I find more blogs to be addicted to!

• Mardi says:

Robin, I LOVED your pre­sen­ta­tion on the art­ful veg­etable gar­den at the David­son Gar­den­ing Sym­po­sium! So fun to meet you in per­son. I have been inspired to raise chick­ens in my back­yard, and my chil­dren are so excited! Thanks for blogging.…

Thanks, Mardi! It was great to meet you. Let me know how your chicken adven­tures go. I have a new chicken project and would love to hear your begin­ner stories.

Robin Rip­ley

• Robin Ripley says:

Robin Rip­ley

• Diane says:

I usu­ally skim com­ments and look for ones that say some­thing other than “So funny!” or “Me too!” When I do com­ment, I usu­ally don’t sub­scribe to follow-ups but I often return to the post in my fee­dreader to see if any­one else said some­thing inter­est­ing. I think keep­ing up with new posts plus fol­low­ing up on com­ments on old posts would be a full-time job; too much good stuff to read out there!
    .-= Diane´s last blog ..March: Chicago Flower and Gar­den Show =-.

• Debbie says:

Most of the time I don’t read com­ments… I think I read too many blogs to read all the com­ments too. If I do com­ment, I will rarely go back, unless I have asked a spe­cific ques­tion or some­thing spe­cific is being dis­cussed — but even then I usu­ally don’t. I do enjoy your blog, though, and I would love to read your book. I adore gar­den­ing books and can always find an excuse to add another one to my col­lec­tion. This one would be guilt free!

• Renee says:

–Some­times
    –no
    –Sometimes

I want that book.

• Grace says:

I just found your blog a cou­ple of weeks ago. I grew up in MD, moved to the mid­west for 12 years, and just returned to the shore. I am eager to learn about gar­den­ing in the warmth again, and love the things your blog teaches me. I am just get­ting into pre­serv­ing my har­vest, I’ve only frozen toma­toes, corn and berries in the past. Your book is beau­ti­ful!
    .-= Grace´s last blog ..A short baby update =-.

• Grace says:

Ooh, I for­got to answer the ques­tions. I don’t sub­scribe to other com­ments, but I often return to see what every­one since me has writ­ten, and I do read those before me, before I reply, usu­ally…
    .-= Grace´s last blog ..A short baby update =-.

• Kate says:

I usu­ally don’t read com­ments, unless I am about to write one myself, then I’ll scan through and see what other peo­ple are say­ing. Though, I will read them some­times, if I think there will be an inter­est­ing discussion.

• Robin Ripley says:

Thanks every­one for respond­ing to my ques­tions about com­ments. Actu­ally, you’re telling me what I expected!

The gen­eral con­sen­sus is:
    – You read the com­ments if it’s an inter­est­ing dis­cus­sion.
    – You will check back if you have asked a ques­tion, but you gen­er­ally don’t sub­scribe to com­ments because it clut­ters your email box.

Thanks every­one for the input!

Robin Rip­ley
    .-= Robin Ripley´s last blog ..Got Gro­cery Gar­den­ing? =-.

Well, first, con­grat­u­la­tions on the suc­cess of the book. Yay. As for com­ments, I some­times read some but if there are many, I do not as who has that amount of time? I some­times check back to see if there is a response but not always, again, time. When I leave a com­ment, it is intended for the blog writer and since I am short of time, I know every­one else is also. Com­ments are the blog candy aren’t they?
    .-= Layanee´s last blog ..Nepal — Phase IV — Seti River Camp =-.

• Vicki says:

I gen­er­ally read the post and then the com­ments. If it is a topic I am very inter­ested in and if I have any­thing to add to the con­ver­sa­tion I will go ahead and leave a com­ment. On top­ics that do inter­est me a lot, I will come back to the blog and see what oth­ers have said. Con­grat­u­al­tions on the book. I enjoy your blog very much and look for­ward to read­ing the book. It is nice to see can­ning com­ing back into vogue. I don’t feel like such an odd­ball now.

• karen says:

I have just started a gar­den web­site to use as my brain dump!

I am going to do a gar­den this year for the first time ever. I work all the time and believe get­ting out­side in the soil will be so healthy for me and pro­duce healthy edi­bles as a bonus!

A friend emailed the link to your site and I posted it on my gar­den­ing blog so I wouldn’t lose it. I came back to your site today in my attempt to learn what I should be plant­ing at this time of year and learned about your book!

I’m excited to read it and thank you for all of your help and the expe­ri­ence you share so beau­ti­fully here. I have a blog about real estate invest­ing so I know the impor­tance of get­ting feed­back to posts. I will def­i­nitely be fol­low­ing you and respond­ing to your posts in the future.

Best of luck with your hot sell­ing book!
    .-= karen´s last blog .. =-.

• Joy says:

I scan com­ments if I’m doing research on a topic and a blog entry was returned OR if a blog entry is par­tic­u­larly inter­est­ing or asks for feed­back or more ideas.

I don’t think I have ever returned to a blog entry to read follow-up comments.

I never request noti­fi­ca­tion — too much email already.

• Krista Murphy says:

I like to read com­ments on a topic I am inter­ested in. I will usu­ally go back to look for responses if I leave a com­ment but do not subscribe.

I attended your lec­ture at David­son Hor­ti­cul­tural Sym­po­sium this week and really enjoyed it! This is my first time vis­it­ing your blog — look­ing for­ward to fol­low­ing it more.

• Sherry says:

Won­der­ful about your book! It looks won­der­ful too. I will be sure and order one.
    I sel­dom read the com­ments oth­ers leave on blogs I am read­ing. If the blog writer leaves responces I will check the box for fol­low ups…
    Always good to catch up with you.
    Spring is try­ing to wake up!
    Sherry

• Stevie says:

How won­der­ful! I’ve been lucky enough to get a copy and I’ve read it cover to cover. I’ll be post­ing a review as soon as I fin­ish another recipe or two. Thanks for the great work!
    .-= Stevie´s last blog ..A Lit­tle More About Me: Inter­view =-.

• Francis says:

Gro­cery gar­den­ing! Ah yes! I love that book. I already own it and have used it many many times for ref­er­ences, etc.. it is super help­ful. Not sur­prised it is mak­ing it to top seller lists! I highly rec­om­mend it too. :)
    .-= Francis´s last blog ..Chef Knife Sets =-.