Harry (enter­ing the house): What is that hor­ri­ble smell?

Me: Smell? You mean dinner?

Harry: No, worse than that. It smells like Sarah was sprayed by a skunk again. Did she?

Me: No skunk. Now that you men­tion it though, there is a rank odor in here.

Harry (fol­low­ing his nose): UGH. It’s these things!

Me: By “these things” do you mean the hyacinths?

Harry: Is “hyacinth” the word for stinky flower?

Me: Aren’t they pretty? I forced them in these cute lit­tle hyacinth vases.

Harry: You forced them to do what? Smell bad?

Me: No, silly. Those are the bulbs you kept ask­ing me why I was keep­ing them in the refrig­er­a­tor. But now that you men­tion it, I have had a dull headache since they started bloom­ing. But aren’t they pretty?

Harry: Okay, but they stink. Can you put them some­where we can see them but can’t smell them?

Me: Good idea.

• Karen says:

I’ve heard that paper­whites smell bad. I’ve never had suc­cess forc­ing them, myself!

• Vicky says:

Ha! You make me laugh. I found your blog through Black Wal­nut Dis­patch (which also makes me laugh). I love how your Harry said the flow­ers smell worse than your din­ner. Kudos for you for not see­ing an implied insult to your culi­nary skills and under­stand­ing what was really meant.

• Renee says:

Paper­whites are the worst!!! We played the “what’s that hor­ri­ble smell” game last year and were so dis­ap­pointed to find the source. Such a shame pretty flow­ers smell so foul!

• Robin Ripley says:

Karen and Renee — Yes, if any­thing can smell worse than hyacinths, it’s paper­whites. Every year I keep try­ing and every year they still stink.

Hi Vicky — Ah, Harry actu­ally likes my cooking!

Robin

• Oh they are so beau­ti­ful — I didn’t know they smelled bad! I love the pho­tos of the bad boys out­side with their sign :)

• Carol says:

That’s funny. They give me a headache, too, some­times. Good solution.

• Roberta says:

Awww.…poor hyacinths. I almost re-gifted bulbs for forc­ing last year. Glad I didn’t. When I opened the box they were noth­ing but dessi­cated husks. At least yours got to see the light of day before being banished.

• Claire says:

Good things come in small pack­ages! I think that a lit­tle of that scent is great but can become over­whelm­ing with a whole win­dowsill of flow­ers. Per­son­ally I like the scent, but I think you either hate it or love it!

• Jenni says:

Haha, that is too funny! That reminds me of some flow­ers we had in our wed­ding. They were yel­low balls on the end of a stick (no leaves, and I have no idea what they were). After the wed­ding we filled our house with vases and vases of flow­ers from the wed­ding and my hus­band swears that the yel­low balls smelled like farts, and com­plained about it often. LOL

• Karla says:

All the flow­ers in here looks beautiful..Thanks for shar­ing your funny story..

• Anna says:

Hah! I’m glad I’m not the only one who doesn’t like hyacinths.

• Daylily Soup says:

LOL. I don’t blame you. I had the same expe­ri­ence with paper­whites! They smelled ter­ri­ble! Love the photos! :-)

• Esmeralda says:

I love your blog…and I got a good laugh out of the Hyacinth post. I forced some bulbs also and they finally bloomed last month. I had left one in the pot that they came in in my back yard and to my sur­prise it was flow­er­ing so much bet­ter than the ones I had to force.